Celebrate Young Carers Awareness Day
Date: 25 Jan 2018 - 00:00 to 23:59
How can you & your organisation help Young Carers in St Helens?
A group of you could come together and do the following:
- Host a cake sale
- Sell raffle tickets /how many sweets in a jar
- Sponsored walk/run
- Bring and Buy
- Name the Young Carer Teddy for £1 a go
All money raised will help your local Young Carers Centre
If you would like to get involved and raise money for your local Young Carers Centre, please contact the Centre on 01744 677279 and ask for Ann-marie Leather (Young Carer School Involvement Officer).
St Helens Young Carers Centre is an independent Charity that currently supports over 550 Young Carers in St Helens
How many Young Carers are there?
There are about 700,000 Young Carers in the UK (BBC 2010). However, there are many Young Carers who remain hidden
That’s about 1 in 12 secondary aged pupils.
There are likely to be young carers in every school and college.
There is anticipated to be over 2,500 Young Carers in St Helens (Scrutiny Report, 2013)
Who do Young Carers care for?
A Young Carer cares for someone (including siblings): ·
- With an illness or disability, including a terminal illness
- With a mental health condition
- Who misuses drugs or alcohol
What might a Young Carer do?
- Practical tasks - as cooking, housework and shopping.
- Physical care - such as helping someone out of bed.
- Emotional support - talking to someone who is distressed, keeping them calm.
- Personal care – helping to dress, wash, bath, toileting needs.
- Managing the family budget and collecting prescriptions.
- Helping to give or prompt with medication.
- Helping to communicate, answer calls and write letters.
- Looking after brothers and sisters.